Thursday, November 19, 2009

I want a career in cancer research...?

But how do I get started? Where do I go to school? I want to research anything (mainly cancer), even if its genes, blood samples, carpet fibers...Anybody have advice? I'd appreciate it. Thanks

I want a career in cancer research...?
Most cancer researchers are MDs. Go to college, follow a pre-Med course concentration. Then get into Med school. Poof, there you go, only about 10 years of study and you're a cancer researcher.
Reply:It really depends what you want to do; cancer research is very broad. If you have finished college, then you may be able to get a job as a lab assistant in a cancer researcher's lab. This is probably the best way to see if you like it enough to consider a career in the basic science component of cancer research. If you are really interested in a specific area (e.g. biochemistry, genetics, etc) you could pursue and M.S. or Ph.D. which I'm sure you could do in Arizona.





I was a history major, and I chose medical school and do some clinical research. However, other possible carrer paths could include biostatistics, social policy, epidemiology. Think about what interests you most and that will help you focus on what kinds of schools to look at.


No comments:

Post a Comment